From: Chris Brogden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:29:11 -0600 (CST)

Agreed. I'm not saying that the *ist is mid-level, just that I can't >see it being the least-expensive 35mm AF SLR in Pentax's lineup.

Ok, on that we don't agree. Pentax entered the low-end with the MZ/ZX-50. When the Z-serie was released, Pentax had the Z-1 (semipro) and Z-10 (beginner). Then came the Z-20 (advanced). Z-50 was only sold in a few countries, and some sort of a mix between the Z-20 and Z-1. The Z-20 was replaced by the lower featured Z-70. At this time, the Z-50 and Z-10 were gone. And when the lineup was Z-70 and Z-1, the MZ-5 entered the market. Then the Z-70 was replaced with the MZ-10. Now, the MZ-50 appeared. Pentax first low-end model. So, with this I simply mean that it's not part of Pentax AF history to have a model in the absolut low-end.

> "at least one below it". Pentax has said 3 filmbased SLR's, not 4.

Where did they say this, and who from Pentax said it?

The marketing director of Pentax UK was interviewed a couple of months after last years Photokina. I believe the magazine was Amateur Photographer. He stated that Pentax are moving from film to digital and to free resources, they were going to reduce the filmbased SLR line to three models. He also said that Pentax are developing a new SLR chassi that will form the base of a new SLR generation.

How on earth do you figure? We sell the MZ-6, F65 and Rebel Ti for >about $500 CAN. We sell the MZ-60, F55 and Rebel 2000 for $380-$400 >CAN. The MZ-60 with the new FA-J lens will sell for about $350 CAN. >There is no way that the *ist will sell for $350 CAN with a lens in >the forseeable future, and there is no way that Pentax will abandon >that market segment.

As I said, I believe that Pentax will sell the MZ-60 as long as there is a demand for it. The *ist will compete with the F/N 65/75, EOS 300V (Rebel Ti) and Dynax/Maxxum 5 and 4. Not with the bodies below this. And I don't believe that Pentax will make an *ist below the current. I believe that those who takes SLR serious, will want a more advanced model. Those who wants a p&s camera will buy a digital zoomcompact instead. So, the absolut low-end SLR market are likely to disappear. I believe the market for advanced to semi-pro models will still exist for some years. The pro-market will also go digital.

Best wishes,
Roland

_________________________________________________________________ Hitta rätt på nätet med MSN Sök http://search.msn.se/