From: Mark Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:20:45 -0500

The *ist is a competitor for the Canon Elan 7 and Nikon N-75 rather >than the entry level Rebel 2000 and N-55.

The Nikon F/N 75 is only slightly more expensive than the F65. It's essentially a F/N 65 with some additional features (like spot meter linked to AE-L button) in F/N 55 design. I have no doubt that the F/N 75 replaces the F/N 65. The EOS 30/33 (Elan 7) is far more expensive than the F/N 75.

It essentially replaces both the
ZX-7 (production stopped recently) and the ZX-5n (production stopped a
while back).

When the MZ-6/ZX-L was introduced, we had a discussion here if this one replaced the MZ/ZX-5n or not. We came to the conclusion that it does not, because of the inferior viewfinder and the lack of spot metering available in all modes.

The *ist has a pentamirror, not pentaprism like the MZ/ZX-5n, and it's going out on the market for less than the MZ/ZX-5n. The MZ/ZX-7 was replaced by the MZ-6/ZX-L. There's no way the *ist can replace both the MZ/ZX-7 and the MZ/ZX-5n since the MZ-6/ZX-L is in the middle. Logically, the *ist must replace the MZ-6/ZX-L also. Anyway, I believe the MZ-6/ZX-L will continue to live, just as the MZ/ZX-7 continued to live despite the release of the MZ-6/ZX-L. I'm sure that Pentax will lower the price of the MZ-6/ZX-L.

There's no way the *ist competes with the EOS 30/33 (Elan 7), Dynax/Maxxum 7. It simply isn't in the same class. It can compete with F/N 80, but the entry Dynax/Maxxum 5 has a better specification than the mid market F/N 80 so it's not hard to compete with it. :-) Looking at the specification, the *ist is only slightly more advanced than the entry level Dynax 5 - so how can it be a mid market model? For mid market, the *ist is not enough. For entry level - it's competetive and up to what's expected for the price.

Best wishes,
Roland

Hitta rätt på nätet med MSN Sök http://search.msn.se/