Hi Bruce,
I don't have the 500FTZ, but I use the AF400T regularly with my 6x7. I
frequently use it with a Sof'Shoulder reflector umbrella for portraits.
I have to turn the power down to 1/4 to get as wide as f11 with ISO 400
film, so it certainly has plenty of punch. I use it with the Quantum
battery 2, which I bought used on ebay for $200 or thereabouts. I've
also used it with the wide angle diffuser and the 55/4 to shoot car
interiors and overhead shots of cars off of a ladder. I can easily
achieve good f16 coverage with ISO 100 using the flash as fill under an
overcast sky or as the main light for the interior shots.
Paul