Tom wrote:
Got a call today to be the primary photographer at a fashion show.
It's a benefit for breast cancer, so they're not paying, but the
exposure seems good, the models are pros, and the designers are the
real deal.

I've never done anything like this before, so any advice is
appreciated.
The main event is a runway thing at ESPNZone in DC. Do any of you know
how this is normally shot? I figure most of the paparazzi are just
using on camera flash, but I would suspect that a few official guys
get to set up some lights. Maybe set up something semi-directional
(standard reflector with grid? small softbox with grid?), and shoot
when the model hits that spot? Set up a few lights for different
spots, maybe one halfway down the runway, one at the end?

Yes Tom, you will need to find out exactly what the lighting set up is for
the event.
If it's just tungsten floods, and spots, you will need to use flash on
camera,
and maybe drag the shutter a stop below your sync. for of a bit of fill.
I have done a few beauty contests where a runway was used, and I found that
positioning is important...you need to be somewhere in front of the runway
get nice frontal shots that will include interesting backgrounds for depth.
I found a 70-200 F2.8 with a built in tripod mount for ease of
orientation,(it will mostly be in portrait mode), was ideal.

Use a good quality film of at least 400 asa. (Kodak Portra VC?)
If possible try be at the same level as the runway or even higher,
(preferably seated, but you may need
to stand on something to get the elevation you need), and use a monopod for
maximum steadiness.

Mount your flash on a bracket, (I use Manfrotto's height adjustable bracket,
and find it ideal), to avoid red eye.
Use a battery pack for fast recycling. Take a spare...flash and pack.

The models are pros so they will already know to freeze momentarily
at appropriate moments especially for the photographers, so it's up to
you to recognise those moments when they occur, and snap accordingly.

I guess most of the rest of it will just be normal event photography,
like at a reception.
I also get the opportunity to shoot some of the models the day before
when they're getting fitted...I think I have a few ideas for this.

Well, it don't get any better than that...you might want to tell the models
where
you'll be photographing them from on the big day, and tell them to "play up"
to you.

I think a buying spree is in order.

Yep, knowing you have good equipment to do the job is vital.
Wish you well, I feel your excitement.
I couldn't think of a more rewarding, and exhilarating job I'd rather do.
Good luck, have a ball, and tell us how it went...we want to know
everything, including pictures!

Regards,

Max