On 2 Jun 2003 at 12:38, Thomas Haller wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I know this is a beat-to-death topic, but I searched and searched and I
> haven't found what I was looking for so I'm asking here.
>
> What do you folks think of using the Lithium DL-1 battery in place of two
> MS76s in an MX?

Below are extracts from previous answers which I've posted to the PDML over the
last 5 years (yes the question does come up regularly):

"2 stacked LR44/SR44 are equivalenmt to 1 CR1/3N. The only reason that the
CR1/3N cells may not appear in the compatible battery list in manuals is that
they are a relatively late battery design"

"The biggest problem with using the CR1/3N cells in the LX is that once you see
the low warning battery it's all over in a few minutes, I always keep one or
two in each camera case. I have used them successfully for years in LX, ME
Super, MX, KM, SuperA, ProgramA, M6 and M6 TTL cameras (and probably more that
I can't think of at the moment)"

"There is no good reason not to use CR1/3N lithium cells in place of 2 x S76 or
equivalents, these batteries are only ever used for metering circuits which
have an inherently high internal resistance (read low current requirement) so
are self limiting. Since the terminal voltage remains the same there is no real
argument not to use them."

""I did a little research and found the following:

Approximate self discharge rates:

Alkaline batteries : 5 % / year (PX28A, A544, 4LR44 105mAh capacity)
Silver oxide : 5% / year (PX28, 544, 4SR44 160mAh capacity)
Lithium batteries : 1% to 2% / year (PX28L, L544 160mAh capacity)

>From the data above we can surmise that for low current applications the Silver
oxide and lithium cells should offer similar operational life over the short
term (eg under 6 months) however the Lithium cells will allow longer storage
period."

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998