a.k.a. How to get a too-often-discussed thread restarted.

Pentax has never *consistently* made PJ-type 35mm bodies.
In the 60s almost everything was well-built, so a PJ pro could
use almost anything, and Pentax was in the fray.  Even then
their major market was the enthusiast.

In the 70s came the MX.  Low-priced for the quality.  Well-built,
but not like a Nikon or Canon F1/F-1/whatever.

In the 80s came the LX.  Very well-built, but orphaned.  No child.
Definitely PJ-grade, but under-appreciated and under-marketed.

In the 90s came the PZ-1/1p.  As with the previous two, introducing
some exceptional features and also well-built.  Not quite PJ-grade,
though some might argue this.  I mean it as compared to the F3HP or F4.
Also a piece of under-appreciated construction.

I'm staying away from the word "professional" because it means so
many different things.  PJ work is only a part of pro.  Even the
common, low-priced A-3000 saw a lot of "pro" work in technical,
embedded applications.  Like film recorders.

If one depends on a PJ-grade body for a living, Pentax is not the line
to choose.
If one wants a quality body with the outstanding character of the Limited
lens line, there's nothing else to compare.

What does "professional" to Pentax?
Apparently three things:  Limited lenses, 645 series & 67 series.
This is what made Bruce's post yesterday so relevant.
He was talking about equally photography that's not PJ work.
Apparently three things:  Limited lenses, 645 series & 67 series.

The rest of Pentax, it seems, is for the enthusiast.

My 2c,

Collin

From: Christopher Comer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Question on Pentax Lineup

Hey everyone,
I don't follow the future of Pentax too closely so maybe
you could fill me in on some rumors. Will the *ist line be
phasing out the Z/M line of cameras? Does Pentax plan on
ever making a pro body again? I'm thinking about moving to a
ZX-5n from a ZX-M in a few months and I'm just curious if the
*ist will lower the price of the ZX-5n since they are so
similar in features and price. Thanks for the gossip, time
to sit back and see what happens...

-Chris

http://mail2web.com/ .