----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Alling" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> You know, I was responding immediately to Pål, I was ignoring you.  I know
your
> argument and I think you are short sighted.  Pål is passing opinion as
fact
> and
> he should be called on it.  I wasn't the only one who did.  I make no
other
> claim
> than that.

Peter,

That's a pretty empty comment, cheap and nasty in fact.  As I wasn't part of
the discussion until then you could ONLY have ignored me.  You may have been
responding immediately to Pål, but you were doing it in a public forum, so
any claim to exclude third party comments is invalid.  If you want your
discussion with Pål to be personal why was it accessable to anyone else?

Pål's writing style is well known and established on PDML, and it becomes
tiresome that you and some others can't adjust to it.  Give the Scandinavian
a break if he uses absolute definitions when something more flexible or
abstract would be more fitting.  The world is wider than English speaking
countries and I for one am impressed and pleased that so many people from
non-English speaking countries make the effort to correspond with us.

As for *ist compatability, I can equally say that I know your argument and I
think you are short sighted.  Pentax knows more about making and selling
cameras than you or I ever will.  They are looking towards the whole world
of new camera buyers, not a couple of hundred retro gear afficianados on an
email list.

Can you name a single major manufacturer of 35mm SLR cameras who hasn't in
recent years made changes to their mount that either alters, limits, or even
prevents the functionality of their older, out of production lenses?

You expect Pentax to be cheaper than CN&M (I've read as much), but OTOH you
can't abide it when they actually apply the same measures as their
competitors in an effort to equalise the comparitive costs and qualities.

GET THIS.  Pentax's new *ist and *ist D are fully compatible with their
current and planned lenses.  With the possible exception of the soft focus
lenses they are compatible with all lenses made for a little over TWENTY
YEARS at the level of function that the lens offered when new (and that's
extremely generous).  With any older Pentax K-mount lens they can either be
used fully manually, or in a  metered mode with a non-functional diaphragm,
and M42 lenses with adapters can be used in stopdown metered modes.

That's a pretty good effort IMO, better than most and vastly better than the
brand most often touted as the one to jump ship for.  But it's so typical of
the Bitch & Moan element of PDML that all one reads is reasons why CN&M are
better, and how Pentax should be more like them and yet remain
individualistic, have faster and quieter AF but still have sharper AF, and
have faster film wind, but be lighter with less battery consumption, and
have higher shutter speeds and X-synchs, but have more durable and
dependable shutters, and not be plastic, and always be weather sealed, and
have USM and IS (even though their target customers are not in the USM/IS
spending category), but still always be cheaper than CN&M.  Why don't you
just buy a Canon and be done with it?  Then you'll never be embarrassed for
your camera's sake, again.

And THEN you call me short sighted, WHAT A JOKE! (not laughing)

Anthony Farr