----- Original Message -----
From: "Caveman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Anthony Farr wrote:
>
> > Pentax knows more about making and selling
> > cameras than you or I ever will.
>
> I find it interesting that you accept that for Pentax, but not for
> Minolta: "It works because it works, and because we tell you so.  Trust
> us, we're Minolta's advertising agency and we wouldn't lead you astray".

REPLY:
I was referring to actual accomplishments, not advertising claims.

> > Can you name a single major manufacturer of 35mm SLR cameras who hasn't
in
> > recent years made changes to their mount that either alters, limits, or
even
> > prevents the functionality of their older, out of production lenses?
>
> Recent years ? Canon ? All EF mount lenses work with all EF mount
> cameras ? Yes, they did a major change 20 years ago, from FD to EF,
> Pentax did one from screw to K too, but after that they didn't play
> sh*tty compatibility games. Like those with current FAJ lenses that
> don't work with current cameras such as MZ-5n.

REPLY:
Is it really twenty years?  I can't be bothered confirming it so it take
your word.  To me that's still recent (I've been married 15 years and
remember my wedding day like it was yesterday).

Canon was an early adopter of totally electronic interface, mainly because
electronic communication through the lens mount had matured as a concept
when the FD mount was found to be unsuited to AF.  But when K-mount was in
development the photo world was a mechanical one, and that mount was an
expression of the contemporary state-of-affairs.  When the first evolution
of K-mount , to KA, came up the photo world was becoming an electronic
realm. But Pentax was in no position to abandon it's mechanical concept
after only eight(?) years.  Imagine the bitching and moaning of today and
multiply that by any factor you care to mention, then add your grandmother's
age, and the grief would have been twice as bad.  Instead they piggybacked
an electronic aperture onto a mechanical one, creating a 'Frankenstein'
arrangement where the aperture value is communicated mechanically when the
lens is off "A", and electronically when set to "A", but in both cases
activated mechanically so that compatability with their all-mechanical
predecessors was maintained.

Now, twentysome years and and a couple more evolutions later, now is as good
a time as any to strip some of the redundancies out of some lenses and some
cameras, because the photo world is again transitioning to electronics, this
time it's the imaging media.  So why make Pentax users face two changes,
first to digital imaging and later to a more complete electronic lens
interface, when the two changeovers can be integrated.  Sooner or later all
camera mounts and lens operations will become fully electronic, so we can
expect more evolutions of K-mount

> > GET THIS.  Pentax's new *ist and *ist D are fully compatible with their
> > current and planned lenses.
>
> Get this: the *ists were designed with FAJ type lenses in mind.

REPLY:
That's absolutely true, and an *ist will work equally well with any past,
present or upcoming A, F, FA, or FAJ lens (with a questionmark over the
F/FA28 Soft & F/FA85 Soft).  So what was the question?

> cheers,
> caveman

regards,
Anthony Farr