Rüdiger

Von: Pål Jensen

>Rüdiger wrote:
>
>With the K-mount incompabilty Pentax is loosing their strongest marketing
>argument.
>

>REPLY:
>
>This is a complete misunderstanding. The number of Pentax customers (as
opposed to users) who buy an slr with compatibility of more than 20 year old
lenses are so few that percentage is not a useful way to measure it. Just
ask any Pentax rep. 90% of all slr sales, and this include Nikon and Canon,
are in the Rebel/*ist class and they are sold with kit lenses. For Pentax
the number is probably closer to 98%. Calling an "advantage" that only
benefit less than 1% of the buyers as strongest marketing argument is simply
misguided. Only a tiny fraction of the tiny percentage use older than 20
year old lenses. Only a tiny fraction of those again are in the market for a
DSLR.
>Still, 20 year backwards compatibility with lenses is the best of any DSLR.
>The 90% slr market segment is what all manufacturer now will chase for
DSLR. This is where the volume is. Another volume segment are those
upgrading from digital P&S. More than 20 years backward compatibilty doesn't
mean anything to these customers. Nor does it mean much to anyone else. I
can't recollect any manufacturer of modern camerras who cater for customers
with more than 20 year old equipment. If such a move had any advantages in
business term I'm sure it would have been common.