Lon wrote:

Another thing that crosses my mind with regard to
the *ist-D:  Pentax's most advanced customers are
probably those most likely to own a few older K/M/Screw
lenses.  Why would a company want to produce a _first_
digital SLR that alienates its most experienced users?

REPLY:

Firstly, the premise is wrong. The most advanced Pentax users have replaced their 20
year old lenses long time ago. It is the conservative users, collectors  and those who
can't afford, or have no interest in,  new equipment who sit on lenses more than 20
years old. This is true for all brands. Very few of them are in the market for a DSLR.
Secondly, the *ist's are targeted to the volume segment where compatibility with 20+
year old lenses are of zero importance.

Lon:
Who in his right mind wants to spend more bucks for a new
plastic lens to replace old workhorses that have better
build and very good optical quality?

REPLY:

I've replaced all my K (except one), M and most A lenses because the newer lenses have
significantly better optical quality. They also offer AF and Matrix metering.

Pål