That's possible.
I have a FA 28-70mm f/4.0 AL on the way to me (haven't seen it yet) and
it's presumably got some small (I hope) glitch in it's 'macro' feature.
Odd that it's essentially the same lens.
I'll be wringing it out as soon as I get it.
I'll report back...

I was sort of wishing it had been an f/2.8 instead, but perhaps it won't
matter.  We'll see.

keith whaley