As you said in a subsequent post, it was an Olympus (OM series). If I was specing a
camera for this type of usage it wouldn't be an all manual one. Sailors are using it
and not photographers. A camera with AE would requires less training (we're not
talking art here), and would therefore be cheaper. Batteries are a non issue: the
camera is not mission critical and the batteries would be just one more provisioned
item.

BR