Hi,

Thursday, August 14, 2003, 12:54:09 AM, you wrote:

>  In today's environment, if you are
> running XP and you're not checking for updates on a daily basis, you got
> rocks in your head!

probably the overwhelming majority of people running Windows are
ordinary, non-geeky types who haven't a clue that there is such a
facility, who don't know what a worm, a firewall, port, rpc or
whatever is, who don't want to know, and shouldn't need to know, any
more than they need to know any of the technical crap about their
fridge, washing machine, TV or car. Loading the responsibility for
this onto the PC owners, rather than onto Microsoft who wrote such crap
in the first place, is like blaming car drivers for crashes when the
manufacturers build their cars wrong.

I have 20+ years of IT experience and I still got hit by the worm.
When I first got XP I kept getting a lot of damn stupid pop-up ads
from pornographers through the background messenger service. It took
me a couple of days to figure out how to turn it off. Other people I
know put up with it for a very long time, completely baffled by what
was going on. It only stopped when I turned it off for them.

PCs are a consumer goodie, they're not just for geeks, yet the people
who write these overblown, excessively complex operating systems - and
it's not just Windows - seem to expect everybody who uses them to know
everything there is to know about them. This is unrealistic, not to say
arrogant, and is no doubt responsible, at least partly, for the widespread
fear & loathing of computers and of IT people. We're long overdue in our
industry for a major change of attitude. We shouldn't expect people to be
computer-literate, we should build systems that are people-literate.

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]