BTW, if you want a really good Canadian beer, try Sleemans Honey brown ale (or their lager).

C.

PS: glad you guys got your power back.

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 08:29 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 07:08:37 -0400
From: "T Rittenhouse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: blackout

Pilsner Urquel, the first modern clear beer (before that all beers were kind
of murky). Many think it is the best beer (lager) in the world, but I like
Grosch better.

I noticed that Blue has been Americanized. Kind of sad.

It is kind of interesting how the American Tasteless Beers came to be. Back
in the 30's and earilier when the factory worker took the streetcar to work
it was common for the guys to drop into the bar and have a beer or two while
waiting for the streetcar after work. Then durning WWII Rosie the Riveter
who was working in the plants while the boys were off having fun wanted to
do the same thing. However, she really didn't care for the bitter taste of
beer. So Miller developed a lighter beer with very little hops that was more
acceptable to her palate. The other breweries followed suite because it is
cheaper to make.

The very worse beer in the US is Coors (called Cow Piss, when I was
stationed in Denver in the early 60's), yuck. Funny thing is that most women
still think beer is too bitter, and we men now have to buy imported or
micro-brewed to get a decent beer.

Ciao,
Graywolf
http://pages.prodigy.net/graywolfphoto

----- Original Message ----- From: "frank theriault" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 11:30 PM Subject: Re: blackout

I beat you, Tom. <g>

But, to further clarify, I believe that Pilsner is a town or city in
either
the Czech Republic or Slovakia (which is my way of saying it's in the
former
Czechoslovakia, but now that they're separate, I don't know which it's
in).
They brewed an exceptionally fine lager there (they may still, I don't
know),
and their recipe was copied in other places, such that Pilsner is now a
style
of lager.

Of course, Labatt's Pilsner, which had a blue label, and for marketing
purposes is now called Blue, is about as far from a real Pilsner as a
Trabant
is from a Ferrari.

cheers,
frank

T Rittenhouse wrote:

Boy you really have a problem, Dave. Because you see pilsner is a type
of
lager.

-- "The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The
pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer

---