Ann Sanfedele wrote:

"However, I  disagree with you that going through archives to
come up with good shots defeats the purpose.  Going through archives
(whether they are last year's or  stuff done 20 years ago) is an exercise
that
sharpens one's perception of their own vision.  The theme triggers a search
that
often results in finding forgotten images that turn out to be better than
one previously thought were the best, or more significant historically, if
only
in a limited way.
Poring over past work is the best path to self-improvement, too."

Ann,

Thank you for the very thoughtful reply. I agree that going through archives
can be a very good learning experience. I frequently go through my "best of"
notebook (a great advantage of slides - easy searches!) to look for an
image. I wouldn't think of submitting one of those old images for the PUG
though. I'd rather go out and shoot film for the assignment and try to
improve on what I'd already done if I did have something that fit. It's fun
to take pictures. The PUG assignment, IMO, is a good way to motivate
yourself to do just that.

I'd like to enter the PUG. I had digital prints made from slides not too
long ago and they were garbage. All the contrast was gone, the colors were
off, they were awful. I may try it again but I'll stick with my lightbox and
loupe for a while.