Kelvin wrote:

KA> I've read many good comments about this lens. Does it
KA> perform well in the entire range of aperture settings,
KA> particular wide open at f/1.4?

  Kelvin, it's excellent starting with 2.8, when there's no more light
fall-off and the resolution easily allows for 30x40 cm blow-ups.
  Wide-open it displays a softening effect around the local edges that
reduces the local contrast and diminishes the apparent resolution, but
it doesn't affect the overall contrast. It also shows excellent flare
control even when wide open.
  In my view it does a splendid job when shooting stage performances
both with low contrast lighting when it still resolves very well the
details, and with harsh lights that would flare badly with anything
else but smc glass.

  For a dry brickwall test, you might want to check:
  http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/fa50_14_2/fa50_14_2.html

  Servus, Alin