I think the discussion of Reserves and BIN's needs to distinguish between
dealers and hobbyists. Dealers will set a Reserve at wholesale + x%, and
then make a bit more by overcharging shipping. I (and other hobbyists I have
observed) will:
a. forego a reserve on lower value items;
b. protect their investment on high-value items with a reserve.

My approach is as follows... Assume I am selling a FA* 85/1.8 that has been
going for around $500. Assume I spent $485 on the lens 2 years ago. I will:

a. Set a reserve in the range of $375-400. If it never goes higher, I lose,
but not too much. As Keith said, no bargain basement give-aways of my
precious stuff!
b. Set a BIN of $525. If someone wants to end the auction early and have the
certainty that goes with a BIN, they can pay a bit of a premium over the
average price.

When I sell items here on PDML, what you are seeing on the higher value
items is the Reserve price I would use if/when I list the item on eBay; what
you are seeing on the lower-value items is my sense of current market value.

My basic point is that you should not assume that all sellers have an
identical (Dealer) strategy in their use of Reserve pricing, and you should
be willing to place a bid on items you want even in Reserve auctions. If
your bid is below Reserve, oh well. 30 seconds wasted. If you are over
Reserve, you may buy something that you wanted for a very reasonable price.

Stan