Hi!

In light of recent tripod talk the following thought occured in my mind.

The smaller sensor/film is, the worse is the effect of shake. This is because even small motion of the camera while shutter is open would translate in larger effect relative to the frame size. Also, smaller film/sensor would mean that magnification necessary to obtain even moderately large print is bigger. Hence less than optimal sharpness would become more apparent.

I also noticed William Robb mentioned microscope that he was using to see the difference in sharpness between various shooting conditions. I think that in real world and for amateur photography still very good pictures could be taken without tripod. Though of course, tripod, MLU, cable release, etc are advisable.

Hope I am not out of whack <grin>.

Boris