William Robb wrote:

I actually don't find Pentax lenses to be overly contrasty. Pentax glass is more about balance. Everything is compromised somewhat, this is the nature of lensmaking, but no one parameter is compromised overly at the expense of another parameter.

This matches my obsevations also. I have always said that Pentax optimises their lenses for best overall picture quality rather than best sharpness or best contrast as many other manufactures do. This is one of the reasons that our lenses that make those wonderful photos don't always have real high test scores in photo publications.

--
graywolf
http://graywolfphoto.com