I don't think this is negative, I think it's the just the extreme
expression of the aesthetic aspect of photography.  Like most art forms,
there is a technique side that puts constraints on pure aesthetics, and
the resulting combination is art.  One of the good parts about
photography is that if you have the aesthetic sense (the"eye") then you
can probably learn enough technique or get an automatic enough camera to
not limit yourself too much.  This is not true in many arts (like
painting) which is why I believe photography is such a popular hobby.
Certainly, this is true in my case, although I think my enjoyment of the
technical aspects is important to me and my "eye" is probably my
limitation ;-)

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450
(540) 458-8873
FAX: (540) 458-8878
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 09/19/03 05:50AM >>>
Thanks Kenneth for your explanation.

I may sound amateurish, but I'm the one who just sees a shot and takes
it. I
hate having to do a lot afterwards, be it in a darkroom or in a
digital
room. That's why I took to slides a certain period, they just gave me
what I
saw. Looking back I can all my mistakes all too clearly as well. What
certainly do not like about photgraphy is the amount of technique I
need to
get a picture rigt. I feel the technique is more a burden than a
blessing.
As a choir conductor I do not sense any limits like this. As a pianist
I did
however. My arms and fingers didn't want to do what I did. The piano
was in
my way, as are a lot of photographical technical aspects. The absurd
limits
of a film for instance. I hope that digital solves this all in due
course.

This sounds more negative than it really is, but as I'm picking up my
photography now I do encounter the very same things that made me stop
twcie
before. So, I'm not a natural photographer I guess.

:-)

Paul Delcour

> From: "Kenneth Waller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:00:44 -0400
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: OT: Pentax Image in Outdoor Photographer
>
> Paul, this image was submitted digitally to Outdoor Photographer. I
used
> Photoshop to set white and dark points, clean dust spots with the
clone
> stamp, apply a little unsharp mask, a slight crop and then size the
image.
> The Image as printed pretty much agrees with the original slide. It
is as
> straight forward as I can make it.
> This is pretty much the way I handle all my images that I either post
or
> print.
>
> Kenneth Waller

PUG