> This will be my last post on this subject, but let me say
> I have really enjoyed it, as far as off-topic threads go.

To bring it back onto topic, somewhat:

A few years ago a SR-71 was supposed to be making a low, slow
pass over Moffett Field as part of their airshow.  (It wasn't
exactly a secret, but it wasn't widely promoted, either).

So there I was, nicely set up near the runway, with a long lens.
Unfortunately I (and the half a dozen or so other photographers
who had set up for the shot) were disappointed; the plane had
suffered mechanical problems, and wasn't able to make the show.
That was pretty much the last public appearance before the fleet
was finally grounded, too, so there's little chance of a repeat.

There's a NASA U2 parked at Moffet (at NASA Ames Research Center),
alongside a Harrier, an F-104, and a pilotless photo spy drone.