I've been reading this thread for a while, and I can't resist anymore:

1. Sure they could have put the mechnaical coupler in the *ist D.  Mark
may very well be right that they have future elctrical coupling desings
where the mechnaics must go, but it's not in this camera.  I also dont'
buy the weaning strategy.  It's better to take the hit on the camera
that gives the advantage, e.g., IS lenses or something.

2. I don't think the economic argument, i.e., it adds $10-100 to the
price, is very strong unless you feel that group that has a lot of K/M
lenses is too samll to matter. It's this latter point that bothers many
of us.  We kind of assumed that we were the group the *ist D was aimed
at.

3.  There actually is apro market that the *ist D could attract, i.e.,
the ones using Pentax MF equipment, especially 645.  These folks may
decide that 6 MP DSLR's are good enough fro some apps.  They do hold
certain advantages over 35, but most of these usages involve AF, so K/M
lenses don't matter.

4.  I think that we are actually seeing Pentax (and everyone else)
abandon 35mm.  I suspect that Pentax wants to conetrate on the folks who
want AF, and that those that don't will have no where to go.  Further, I
suspect they feel that those whose switch to Canon over this were
probably going to do so anyway.

Yeah, it's a cold business decision.  But, they are a business
afterall, and they may have decided that their current approach wasn't
working.   Sales will tell if there decision was correct.

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450