What about a tamron? I have the AF version described in this ebay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2954172301&category=48558 . I've had it for a couple of months and I can't fault it. I did a test between the tamron a Pentax M* 300mm f/4.0 and my FA* 200mm f/2.8. The 200mm came out on top but surprisingly the Tamron came out a head of the M* at both f/4.0 and f/8.0. I looked at sharpness, contrast and color rendation.

/Paul

From: "Th. Stach" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: WTB in the future: 300mm f/2.8
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:56:23 +0200

Hello all you big glass experts,

what do you think would be a fair price for such a lens?

I've seen the SMC-A version for 1.800 EUR
and the newer SMC-FA for  about 2.700 EUR.

I'd also take a Sigma or Tokina, but I'm not sure if these were ever
done for Pentax.
AF preferred.

I've done some terrific shots with my F*300 f/4.5 this year- but these
shots were only possible with ISO 400 or ISO 800 film.

If I could have used the f/2.8 and ISO 100 film, well...

Another question is:
Can shots be done handheld with the f/2.8 ? Any chance?
I'm always trying to go for the 1/4000s (fast moving objects) or even
faster, but the weight could be an issue, what do you think?

I'd love to check out such a lens, but I've never seen one "live".
Or I should wait for digital, where ISO is not an issue...

Thanks in advance for your appreciated advise,

Thomas

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963