The problem with the *ist D, as far as I know, is that if it doesn't sense that
the lens is in A position it locks the lens aperture wide open but leaves the
meter on. With Stop down metering lenses, i.e. those without the K stop down lever
such as a M42 lens using an adapter the Camera cannot control the aperture. So the
camera has stop down metering. It's a software feature.

At 04:25 PM 10/12/03, you wrote:
On 12/10/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>No extra code is required for stopdown metering with M42 lenses. If the code
>for the camera is properly written, (I'll make no bets on that, I've seen
>some awful code,
>but assuming they did a good job) then the amount of code used a.) to make
>the camera not
>fire when a lens isn't set to A, or doesn't have an A setting, (if properly
>written that should
>be the same code, it's looking at the same sensor), or b.) Overrides that
>function to turn off
>the meter and allow the shutter to fire, could be re-written to call the
>module to stop down the
>lens and the module to turn the meter on, thus giving K/M lenses stop down
>metering at least.

This is interesting. To get the D60 to fire with the M42/EOS adapter
aboard, I had to physically grind off a small bit of flange where it
contacts a small 'pin' on the camera. Presumably this pin on the camera
tells the electronics that there is a lens in place and can it detect the
electrical contacts on the lens? If it can (EOS lens) it allows the
shutter to work. If it can't (M42/EOS adapter) it won't allow the shutter
to fire. Knowing that the camera will fire with no lens, no nothing in
the bayonet, I figured that to remove the 'pin' on the camera would be
out, cuz I obviously want to use other EOS lenses, or lose the bit of
metal that contacts the pin. This I did and hey presto it fires, and
allows stop down metering in manual and AV modes. This was the basis of
my idea to construct an EOS mount on the back of a Pentax lens.

Given the above info, is there any way that the back of a K mount lens
could be modified to let the *ist D fire using stop down metering in
similar modes?

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| www.macads.co.uk/snaps _____________________________ Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk

I drink to make other people interesting.
-- George Jean Nathan