Hi,

[...]
> A couple of the numerous times we've visited that (northern) part of
> England, we visited Whaley Bridge, had the standard touristy shots by
> the road sign, and so on.
> We did notice that place is growing! Between visits, perhaps 18 years
> apart, I hardly recognized the place.
> Anyhow, back on track...
> When we visit, home base is sort of in London, as we fly in and out of
> Heathrow - but we do love to visit London and go over whenever we get
> the chance, so the reference to "up by Nottingham" is partly because we
> think from London as a point of reference.

[...]

>> Never heard it described as being up by Nottingham though. Not a Southerner are
>> you? ;-)

Whaley Bridge is probably not more than about 50 miles or so from
Nottingham - pretty close by US, Canadian and Aussie standards; a huge
distance by English standards :o). I was at school in the Peak
District, not all that far from Whaley Bridge.

I remember about 25 years ago talking to an elderly American in Munich
who was on his first visit to Europe since WWII. I asked what he
thought was most remarkable about Europe. He said "Well, your cities are
all so close together".

--
Cheers,
 Bob                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]