On Wed, 22 Oct 2003, Dave Miers wrote:
> The previous posts regarding LCD delay reminded me of one of my
> major concerns wth Digital Cameras.  Both digitals I've owned so far
> have a very aggravating shutter delay.  Timing your shot and getting
> the moment can be a very aggravating problem.  Anticipating the
> moment is difficult enough without having to factor in shutter lag.
> Can some of you that own the *ist D comment on this camera's
> performance in regard to shutter lag?

It is no worse than the ZX-5n that I own or other modern film SLRs.

One thing which make shutter lag bad on P&S cameras is that the CCD in
them is always live, updating the LCD.  When it is time to take the
picture they need to turn off the CCD for a short amount of time to
let it clear it's registers and go completely black.  The picture is
then taken.  The *ist D has no live preview CCD so there is not this
source of lag.  The AF is also faster than most P&S digital cameras.

You can usually see why the CCD needs to be cleared on a p&S digital
camera if you point it at a bright light while using live preview.
Often you'll get streaking around the light where the CCD is
overloaded.  When you snap the final picture the streaking is gone.

alex