> One thing which make shutter lag bad on P&S cameras is that the CCD in
> them is always live, updating the LCD.  When it is time to take the
> picture they need to turn off the CCD for a short amount of time to
> let it clear it's registers and go completely black.

I don't think this can be the reason.  A CCD sensor is quite capable of
resetting itself, capturing an image, and reading it out tens of times
a second (if that weren't the case, CCD video cameras wouldn't work).

The delay seems to come in the auto-focus (and exposure) calculations.
With my digital P&S all the shutter lag comes from that phase. If I
pre-focus by half-depressing the release I can then finish the exposure
by pressing the trigger whenever I choose, with no noticeable delay.
But the LCD display is still live during this time (I sometimes use it
to frame the shot).