> Not really.  You can get decent results from a dedicated film scanner
> at around half the price of a *ist-D/D100/10D (or something quite close
> to the price of a 300D), but the cheaper units are usually just flatbed
> scanners with transparency adapters, which don't work as well.

You might consider the Minolta Scan Dual III for under $300 new.  Check the
reviews on this scanner and I think you'll find it is rated quite highly.
No, it's not a perfect solution, but does offer the digital world to many of
us at an affordable price.  Since I own this scanner I am finding it quite
hard to justify a DSLR at this point, since a good share of my motivation is
controlled by my Wallet!

Dave