On 28 Oct 2003 at 7:29, Mark Roberts wrote:

> "Rob Studdert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >On 27 Oct 2003 at 15:49, alex wetmore wrote:
> >
> >> The last thing that I found said that the sensor in the Pentax *ist D
> >> and Nikon D100 cost about $700 each in quantity.
> >
> >Well that's what they'd like you to think, makes the bitter pill more palatable
> > if there is some other entity to blame.
>
> I don't know about the CCD being used in the *ist and D100, but the
> 6-megapixel *full-frame* CCD used in the Contax (and the abandoned MZ-S
> Digital) was $1000 in quantity. I doubt the APS-sized CCD is half that.

Apart from the fact that this value was bandied about at least two years ago
now I doubt that anyone but a noted manufacturer would be able to secure
quantity pricing for this type of component without providing at least:

Project Application/details:
Anticipated Production Volume (Yearly):
Anticipated Production Quantity (Yearly):

IOW its all guess work outside the materials procurement/engineering
departments.

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998