On 6 Nov 2003, Frits [ISO-8859-1] Wüthrich wrote:
> USA pricing for the *ist D:
> $1349.99 :
> http://www.ccicameracity.com/brproduct.asp?ccode=pistd
> $1399.00:
> http://www.cameraunlimited.com/webstores/www/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Store_id=101&page_id=23&Item_ID=2920
> http://datavisioncomputer.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1236436&prmenbr=2000

The problem with using search engines to look for cameras in the US is
that many camera resellers are really sleazy and often use illegal
tactics to advertise those low prices.  Actually getting the camera at
those prices can be difficult to impossible.

This makes it hard to sell used cameras too -- I have a brand new in
box Sony DSC-F717 that I'm selling (it is new because I got it as a
warranty replacement, I'm selling it because the *ist D replaced it)
and I'm offering it for about $100 less than any reputable online
dealer.  I've gotten two people who have complained that I'm asking too
much because they can get it from places such as the above.  I tell
them to go ahead and see if they ever get the camera.

Here are some store ratings for ccicameracity.com:
http://www.resellerrating.com/seller1734.html

The other two aren't listed in that site.  I would avoid any US online
camera store which you can't find ratings for though -- these
companies often change names to avoid their bad press (and probably
prosecution).

alex