To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: *ist D and Flash

Yes, I know we can measure the whole thing.  But we know diddly squat
about how that time is broken up.  We *are* just speculating.  I've
never seen anyone post a link to a manufacturers site that shows the
breakdown.  There have been numerous opinions on this list, some that
say most of the time is taken up by the sensor clearing, some that say
that its the AF that is taking up all the time, some that say its
something else.  If you set one of those things on a tripod and keep
taking pictures of something at a fixed distance, the shutter lag seems
to be the same, without knowing what the mechanism/algorithm breakdown
is, everyone's guess is as good as anyone else's.  It could also just be
the digital processor.  These cheaper P&S's may not have the processing
power that the better cameras have and this may slow down the whole
process.  And that is speculation also.  :)