> FYI, the TSA has made a change in the regs:
>
> http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1248.xml

Well, yes.  But the additional bag still has to comply with the
weight and size restrictions for carry-on baggage.  It's rather
hard for me to carry my 250-600 that way. So my choice is either
leave it at home or put it in checked baggage.

I'm thinking of getting another smaller case which will serve me
as a day-to-day carryaround for the *ist-D and some of my smaller
lenses, and to take that as carry-on when travelling, loading it
up with just the bodies, any film I plan to use, and suchlike.

P.S.  Don't you just love the advice that film should be removed
      from the canister and placed in a clear plastic bag?
      And why just unexposed film, anyway?  What about exposed
      but undeveloped film?