Hi,

Bob Walkden wrote:

> It's a different type of documentary style from the Picture Post and
> Life style. Parr is more in the tradition of Tony Ray-Jones, who
> worked in the style of people like Joel Meyerowitz (they were
> friends), and turned that style onto the English scene. Parr has
> extended that with the use of colour and, in my opinion, a less
> sympathetic, perhaps even hostile, eye.

He does have a less than sympathetic eye for his subjects 8-)

> You can trace the development by looking at Parr's early black & white
> work, comparing it with Ray-Jones (probably a genius), and see how it
> has changed.
>
> I admire Parr's work enormously, and his massive influence on British
> photography and film-making, but I don't like the attitude he seems to
> express in his work. I prefer the old-fashioned ideas of humanism and
> dignity that Jacobson mentions.

Seconded.  The point I was trying to make, rather obtusely, is that many
documentary photographers emphasise things in their work and Martin is
continuing this tradition, albeit in a different way.  I feel he is more
"rejecting" old values in his view of the subjects rather than his
technical means of portraying them.

> "I just make it to 'Cruel + Tender' at Tate Modern before it closes.
> [...] The show itself seems an incoherent mess, randomly thrown
> together to make some kind of 'statement'. The usual suspects are included
> from British photography, Martin Parr and Paul Graham ..."
> [...]
> "The art world feels threatened by good photojournalism, and feels the
> need to rubbish it and then subsume it into the gallery circuit to
> control it, like a dangerous wild animal. I have an explanation for
> this. Successful reportage photography is hard work, time-consuming
> and requires huge amounts of talent, energy, patience and committment.
> It's much easier and quicker to resort to 'biographical' me-me-me
> photography, the more obscure the better."

I see this all the time at work: poor, deluded students taking Alevel
photography, producing (very low quality, technically) work that is
obviously meant to be photojournalism but is nothing more than a cracked
mirror held up to their short, consumerist lives.  I wouldn't waste good
film and paper on it but someone in the Art department obviously thinks
that they have found a mine of talent.

> He goes on. Very enjoyable. Subscribe!

I have looked at this site (www.foto8.com) before.  I am rather tempted.

mike