There's more to it than "details of the grain."

One of the things I noticed was increased sharpness on most scans, due, I'm
sure, to the way the Imacons hold the slide against the drum and the more
even scanning the drum scanner provides, as well as better shadow detail and
better separation in the shadows (between zones 1,2,3).  Is it enough to
make a difference to some people?  Probably not.  However, I happened to see
a very interesting demonstration of where this difference became quite
significant, and that was when making a very large print from a 4 x 5 slide
(abt 40 x 50 final print).  That's not to say the differences aren't
observable in smaller sized prints - they are - and even more so when making
large transparencies.

Is it overkill ... perhaps to some people or in some situations.  But, if
you want the utmost quality in a print, then perhaps a higher dpi scan is
appropriate.  Hey, there are still lots of people who are very happy with
the results from a 2700dpi scan with a range of 3.6 or so, while others feel
that 4000dpi and a range of 4.2 gives better results.

Anyway, just my dos centavos ... I suspect Herb'll tell me I'm being foolish
and that a 4000dpi scan is about as good as it gets <LOL>

shel