----- Original Message -----
From: "Tanya Mayer Photography"
Subject: Re: *istD - Hmmmmm

> OT- tom, are you shooting your weddings exclusively with the *istD, or are
> you using another digital slr of some description?
>
> Also, you said "I regularly make 16x20's from 6 megs, and I'm always
> astonished at how good they look. I like them better than most of the
prints
> I got from my 645, and that includes the ones I printed myself."
>
> The guy at the lab that is trying to get me to take my work to them, seems
> to think exactly the same.  In fact he was trying to get me to buy the
> Minolta Dimage A1, which is only 5megs claiming that its results were
better
> than any digital slr on the market!  I too, have been "holding out" and
> hoping for a Pentax 10megapixel slr, but I am interested to hear your
> thoughts on the abilities of only 6.  If what you are saying is true
(about
> the 16x20s), then there is really no reason (except for $$$) for me NOT to
> convert to the *istD ASAP!

Not Tom, but..........

What I have seen from the ist D only up to 12x18, not 16x20 but.....
My initial reaction to the 12x18 was that it looked like it had the same
quality as what I would expect from my medium format.
Upon closer inspection, while grain was certainly suppressed, there was a
lack of very fine detail.
What 6mp digital gives you is a lot of why one shoots medium format in a
35mm sized package.
The picture quality is certainly good enough to sell.

So far, the only thing I have found to be a pain is the wide angle thing. I
had to shoot some film the other day, and I resented it for the time I was
going to have to take to scan it.
So much so that I invented an excuse to make a CD of the negs.
Since you are already semi digital, in that you are scanning most of your
film, a digital camera really makes a lot of sense.
The results are great, and since you don't have to spend your Saturday
nights scanning film, you can go dancing.

William Robb