On Thursday, Dec 4, 2003, at 06:41 America/New_York, Herb Chong wrote:

there have been a few articles out now that basically say that digital
cameras, once you keep good battery warming habits, are better for very cold
weather shooting than film cameras because you don't have to worry about
film breaking,

Not only that, but the cold temperatures keep the CCD noise level down. I think you can mitigate the temperature problem very well by keeping the camera in your jacket or bag until you're ready to shoot.

Last year, I found that my Olympus C5000 tended to freeze up (no pun intended) in cold weather. I've not tried my *ist-D in similar conditions yet, although today seems like a good day to do a minor torture test.

--jc