"How much loss is there in the printing of the jpeg file?"

There is some loss of detail at high magnification, more so on some images than others. One of the online reviews had some examples.

My question is: Why ever would one buy such an expensive camera, put a good lens on it, learn to do photography, then shoot at anything less than highest resolution?

I won't (or I might very rarely), even considering the cost of cf cards. It bothers me even having to convert high-resolution images for PUG. Often I can see a loss of quality.

Joe