frank theriault wrote:

> As to whether digital and film should be judged separately, I
> really don't care.

Hmm! I think I do; with digital you can review immediately what you have
taken - if you don't like it on some occasions the moment may not have
passed and you can take the shot again. With film, until it's processed you
don't know. Just for that alone, I think I like them separated.

That's a clear benefit to digital (no inferring it's in any way cheating).

>  It's up to the club or those holding the
> competition to make the rules, and those who wish to enter
> either abide by those rules, or not.

My one appearance at a club was a strange and unrepeatable experience.

> Personally, I've never been a big fan of art competitions
> anyway, whether they be piano, dance, painting, photography,
> whatever.  Art stands on it's own.  Either a viewer likes it,
> or they don't.  It shouldn't be a competition, imho.

I agree with that alright. I have never been able to understand how judges
think. I have seen several localish displays, with the judges then later
awarding the prizes and the appropriate place sticker then appears beside
them. Not once have I ever agreed with their decisions.

> Of course, that's just a personal opinion, and it's a reason
> why I wouldn't enter a competition myself, but for those of
> you who enjoy these things and enter these things, I make no
> judgment on you.

Not something I would do either, but only as the outcome is so subjective.
Many could view and think it's great. The judge/judges view it and hate it
:-(

> But, here's the real point of my post (sometimes it takes a
> while <g>):
>
> How is it that digital shooters have "an unfair advantage"?
> There's a digital look and a film look (not that I can always
> tell the difference).
> Digital is faster, but for a contest, that wouldn't be an
> issue.  Yes, digital can be manipulated in ways that film
> can't, or at least manipulations can be made much easier.
> But if you shoot film, you accept that limitation.
>
> Any ideas?  Am I missing something really obvious?

A choice - but with film you can't take the roll out and see what you have
at the time. Of course a professional or good amateur has the confidence he
has the image he wanted with film anyway - don't they?

Malcolm