Subject:        Re: Fwd: FW: Sensor size and convertor idea
Author: "John Francis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date:            Sat, 13 Dec 2003 18:04:49 +0000

> While we're at it, how about some circuitry to convert > the manual aperture
> position to an electronic signal, > and all M and K lenses can be made fully
> compatible!

You'd need more than that - you'd also need something to stop a K/M lens down to the
right aperture; the actuating lever on the body only moves to the 'A' lens position,
which isn't far enough to fully stop down a K/M lens. And, of course, you would only
want to increase the travel for a K or M lens; for an A or later lens you'd want to
use exactly the travel that the body supplies.

(In other words:  it isn't going to happen)

Good news on the optical front, though; I'm fairly sure the earlier poster who
caclulated image distances, etc., got it wrong.  A simple concave lens acts as a
reverse teleconverter (image magnification factor less than one), but increases the
primary-lens-to-image distance.

Theres no image inversion, and there's room for the converter.  So the optical side,
at least, is possible.