I think you might want to check your arithmetic.  It seems you've made
a very simple mistake; the magnification is related to o/i, not i/o.

The very simplest wide-angle converter is a concave lens.

Consider two rays coming from the object, and converging on the image
plane.  Inserting a concave lens in the path (behind the primary lens)
will cause those rays to diverge somewhat, thus moving the image plane
backwards (or allowing you to move the primary lens forwards).
A concave lens has a magnification factor less than one, and thus will
concentrate a wider object field-of-view into a smaller image view;
both phenomena which are familiar to the majority of eyeglass wearers.

It's the positive-magnification TC that doesn't work as a simple case,
which is why teleconverters are fairly complex optical designs; they
need at least two optical components, so that the film-to-rear-plane
distance can be less than original-image-behind-front-plane distance.

Neither the wide-angle-converter nor the teleconverter invert the image.