"Collin Brendemuehl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The future of film from Kodak & Fuji:
>
>http://apnews.excite.com/article/20031223/D7VK80IO0.html

Well, there's nothing in this article that's actually *wrong*, in my
opinion, but I think the time frames mentioned are very optimistic in
terms of how long film will last. When I visited RIT (the main source
for information for this article) a couple of months ago I was amazed at
how far behind the curve they are with regards to digital. Perhaps this
is a by-product of their close physical proximity to and close working
relationship with Kodak.
  More importantly to serious photography enthusiasts like ourselves is
the matter of *what* film remains available. As high-end photography
goes almost exclusively digital, I'd expect the film emulsions that
remain in production to be those made for weekend point-and-shoot users
:(
  On a positive note, I think quality black & white film will remain a
viable niche market.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing