On Dec 24, 2003, at 8:01 AM, Mark Roberts wrote:

  More importantly to serious photography enthusiasts like ourselves is
the matter of *what* film remains available. As high-end photography
goes almost exclusively digital, I'd expect the film emulsions that
remain in production to be those made for weekend point-and-shoot users

I would think that the opposite will prove true. Point and shoot will be fully digital within a couple of years. But some serious photographers will want to continue working with film because it provides some other dimensions. I've seen some of that already among the high dollar car shooters. Most shoot digital some of the time or even most of the time. But most also shoot film concurrently because they say it gives a different look and the additional step in the process -- the scan from film to digital -- provides additional control. What's more you have the Leica crowd and their counterparts in the rest of the photographic world. They are dedicated film users but not point and shoot people. Hey, I remember that just three months ago or so the Pentax crowd was wedded to film. Now they're proclaiming it dead. Don't forget digital has been around for quite a few years. It's only new here at Pentas. It's old news everywhere else. Yes, it will be the dominant medium, but it won't replace film completely for quite some time -- if ever. A hundred years ago a lot of people thought that photography would make painting obsolete. But artists still paint. And artists will continue to record images on silver halide. The process is part and parcel of the art.