I shoot on RAW so it's not as much of an issue, but generally leave the camera set on sunlight. I've been able to manage with daylight balanced film all this time, so I figure working with daylight balanced digital shots is basically the same. I don't use auto because I like knowing what the starting balance is, in case I want to color correct it in Photoshop.

-MCC