Hi,

> Grew up there, so I guess I've got some license. I'm now in Brisbane,
> Australia, but Singapore's so tiny I may have memorised it :-)

Har! yet another of the places I lived in when I was a kid. We were
posted to Changi for a couple of years, and lived in a house in
Siglap (Beaumont Rd or Gardens, I can still remember). It was the early
1960s. Lee Kwan Yew was quite new as the PM, or became PM while we
were there. There was rioting in the streets, and 'She Loves You' was
the new Beatles record.

I think Singapore has probably changed a bit since then. We wouldn't
go to the beaches because they were covered in dead dogs and gulls -
we went to Changi swimming pool every afternoon instead. The street we
lived on didn't have a made-up road, just a dirt track. My mother used
to buy live chickens from a cart and the chicken man would cut their
heads off and let them run around the garden for a bit. Then he would
cut the feet off and give them to us boys to play with.

We had a very nice ama called Ann. Once she took us to her home in a
place called Kampong and I was horrified by the poverty and the
squalor she lived in. I don't know if it was truly like that, or just
my childish perception.

A place I particularly remember which could still be there is the
Tiger Balm Gardens, with a horrific display of people suffering
torments in Hell. There were also a lot of interesting Hindu funerals,
and festival parades where people ran metal spikes through their bodies.

--
Cheers,
 Bob