The interesting posting by Frank 'one R' Theriault on "people and their
bikes" has reminded me of something I saw late last year.

I saw someone photographing a house that was having work done to it, with
builders filling a skip with the properties old bathroom and assumed he was
an agent, taking a picture for the property adverts. As I got closer, it was
clear he was taking a picture or two of the skip itself! He was using a
beaten up MX and as I had mine with me at the time I started a conversation
with him, as I was curious why he was taking pictures of the skip.

Anyway, cutting a long story short, that is all he takes photos of (and has
done for over 25 years) as part of a social documentary on how affluent
society is and how it has changed and how much 'we' waste. For the last 5 or
so years, new fitted kitchens and expensive toys which have lasted a year
get thrown on a skip and are taken away by the skip company; in the early
70s it was almost impossible to fill one, as someone would have a use for an
old door or would take an old bike away to restore etc.

I thought that was quite an interesting subject.

Malcolm