Hi,

back in the good old days Steptoe & Son would do the rounds every week
and take the stuff away for recycling. I can still remember rag & bone
men in Leeds and Bradford from the 60s and 70s.

It's interesting to see the opening sequence of old Steptoe shows. It
was based in Hammersmith and filmed round there. When I see the
state of the streets and property there in the 60s I'm amazed at their
decrepitude. These are places that are worth millions now. Back then
they were poor, working class tenements.

(For the benefit of our US readers, Steptoe & Son is the original of
Sanford & Son).

--
Cheers,
 Bob