John Coyle wrote:

> Gentrification and 'urban renewal' are something that I have
> been working with other local people to try and control in my
> suburb.  Many fine old 'Queenslander' houses have been
> knocked down and either modern rubbish or 'Tuscan'
> monstrosities have taken their place.  Worse than the loss of
> character is the loss of affordable housing and diversity in
> the suburb, which I moved to because of it's character.
> In order to make the point, another photographer and I have
> recorded over 300 images of places under threat or (now)
> gone.  Unfortunately, property prices here have increased by
> 300% in the last ten years, so it's hard to convince people
> not to realise their property's value.

I have been a member of our local historical society for some years and
despite arguments about the destruction of fine properties, money has a
priority and they still get demolished. Promises of affordable houses falls
on deaf ears too; one fine row of 4-storey Edwardian townhouses went for an
ugly 60 flat block which promised some affordable properties. Two years
later when they went up, the cheapest flats selling for £224,995. That's
meant to be affordable? Right! I've taken photos of it during construction
and the block relies heavily on cheap materials. What a bargain :-(

Malcolm