I've just been reading this long thread about DSLRs and old Pentiums
and it struck me like lightning.

Why on Earth one would want to take a 6MP DSLR to be a backup of yet
another 6MP DSLR?!

I think this has been covered pretty thoroughly - you really have to have a second body in case the first one fails. Aside from client obligations and lawsuits etc, if you just devote the time and effort to get to a good place at the right time you run the risk of loosing that investment in effort if you bring just one camera and it fails.

Personally, I don't see a need for second DSLR as a backup, since I have not locked into digital output for any shooting. If my *ist-D breaks, I can always go back to shooting film. When I have a 64 megapixel 35 x 24 dslr I might dislike the loss in quality caused by going back to film - but heck, I got at least 4 or 5 years before I have to worry about that!

- MCC
-----

Mark Cassino Photography

Kalamazoo, MI