On 19 Jan 2004 at 8:14, Jens Bladt wrote:

> Hi Rob and other *ist D owners.
> I'm having a dicussion with my brother: Will I loose (visible) data when
> shooting/saving files in camera as JPEG's.

Relative to RAW significant data may be lost depending upon the range of
illumination of the scene however using the current Pentax RAW convertor you
may loose the advantage slightly due to it's relatively poor edge performance.

> Is ther a visible difference betwen RAW shots, converted to TIF and a low
> compression (best) JPEG shot. Your answer will be highly appreciated.

Relative to TIFF the JPEG compression rate is so low (my full res 200ISO low
compression JPEG files vary from 606k to 4669k per image) that there is only
faint signs of JPEG compression artifacts under magnification. You would have
to have a special need for TIFF files to justify saving in-camera TIFF.

RAW would give you some advantage in latitude, reasonable file sizes and some
advantage to be able to alter colour balance etc after the fact. The RAW
convertor isn't the best at the moment, the contrast and sharpening controls
have a different effect to the in-camera processing and also there is the edge
issue. Hopefully soon there will be improvement on the Pentax product and
native support under PShop etc. The other thing to consider is that RAW
conversion puts another pretty slow and laborious step in your image processing
flow.

Cheers,

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998