I have a few vintage bikes. Here's my 1964 Schwinn Super Sport light
weight, with the nicely made, very nimble fillet brazed frame, classy
chrome fork, and a well-worn Brooks saddle. I rescued this one from a
Goodwill store, in pristine condition, for twenty bucks.

http://www.photolin.com/misc/64SS.jpg

The Super Sport model was near the top of the line, made along with
the Paramounts but about half their price, and way out of my price
range back in '64 when I was 13.

Buying a good bike was a heady experience for me in 1964.  For years
my brother and had pieced together our balloon-tire coaster-brake
bikes from second hand parts and frames, building and re-building them
as we grew and wore them out.  We had nothing but disdain for the
fancy new bikes our friends owned, probably because we could not
afford to buy a bike new.

The Sting Rays and other new bikes were considered sissy stuff, too
clean and dainty for us.  We would race our beaters around, lock up
the back tire, and see who could leave the longest skid mark on the
hot Texas asphalt, coming as close as possible to hitting the Sting
Ray sissies, who would cower in fear, afraid we would get their new
bikes dirty, or heaven forbid, scratched. Ha. Take that.

But one fine day I headed off to the Toy Chest on Camp Bowie Boulevard
in Fort Worth.  They were a Schwinn dealer and well-stocked toy store,
years before anything like Toys-R-Us appeared, owned and operated by a
nice couple for many years.  I made several trips there, alone,
secretly admiring the beautiful new bikes in their showroom, the likes
of which I'd never dreamed of before.

I couldn't stomach the idea of me actually buying a Sting Ray, which
to me was for silly kids, but there was this new thing - 5 and
10-speed derailer bikes - that completely caught my fancy.  I chose a
5-speed Collegiate in Radiant Coppertone, which was the best bike I
could afford.  Man, did that bike make my heart throb.

The Toy Chest owner let me take it home for $20 down and the promise
of two more payments of $20 a month, on my own good word as a steadily
employed paper boy at age 13.  I even started taking care of it,
washing and waxing, taking care not to tear it up or leave it
unlocked. Talk about a big change in attitude.

Several years later, after high school, my Collegiate went to a new
home, still in fine condition.  Then almost 25 years passed before I
bought another bike.  My interest was re-kindled, and now I have a
garage full of bikes.

And just to keep the topic on people, here's my better half
accompanying me to the pond on her nice little Giant hybrid mountain
bike.

http://www.photolin.com/misc/linn06.jpg

--
John Mustarde